Thursday, May 1, 2008

Die 20

It's been a contentious couple of days in our growing circle of grognards, old school OG's, tabletop Tories and faux-retro futurists. In the mock spirit of things I offer this short scene, a golden polyhedron from Eris' dicebag:

ye Grognarde: Yon sprats, they have it too easy! We've moddlecollied them so much they can't even read a variable number spread without their little d6 or d8 what tells them how to roll. Gone is the respect for 3-12 and 4-24! Lo, in this fallen age they roll 3d4 and 4d6. The problem-solving spirit of yesterday is fading, alack and woe. These youngsters wouldn't know how to solve a puzzle like 3-9 or 8-11 if they had feat in arithmetic!

Johnny Come Lately: 3-9? Go to bed, old man! What's the point? Oh, right, cause it's sooo fun to back engineer a monster's Strength bonus! Look, mathlete SWAT team dungeoncrawls just aren't my thing. I want a game that's streamlined for maximum cinematic action. Shoot, man, if only I didn't have to roll dice at all. Hell, no dice, no table, no players at all, just non-stop fun action...

DD-iBot: IN THE FUTURE DICE ROLLS WILL BE BEAMED FROM CENTRAL PROCESSING DIRECTLY INTO YOUR BRAIN.

ye Grognarde: (sputters, dies)

FIN

MP3: Robyn Hitchcock, Young People Scream
MP3: Frank Sinatra, The September of My Years

3 comments:

James Maliszewski said...

Well done.

Max said...

Thanks James, and glad you stopped by. I've really been enjoying the blend of history and advocacy at Grognardia. Eager for more articles on pulp-fantasy's literary roots in particular!

James Maliszewski said...

I'll be returning to pulp fantasy shortly. I've been sidetracked by a number of other obsessions, but it remains my first love. I've also begun to realize that there's actually a lot of interest in old school games out there, so I'm trying to lay the groundwork for expanding Grognardia into something more than just my noodling and bitching (though there will still be plenty of that) :)